[P1] Archive and Install

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Sat Mar 8 06:52:04 PST 2003

On Saturday, Mar 8, 2003, at 08:22 US/Central, Jack Rodgers wrote:

> Zeroing a drive is when you select the option [...]
> It isn't necessary if you keep your drive since every bit
> of data becomes inert when the database of names and
> locations is erased or overwritten. There may be an
> exception for a virus which only needs to be read but
> I have not heard of any such virus.

The only way you'd be able to read any remaining data
is if you bypassed the filesystem.  The only reason for
overwriting a disk that I can think of it to protect
*your* old information that might be on it.  I believe
that you mentioned the case of selling the drive.  It's
always good to completely erase the data in that case,
since it may contain suprisingly sensitive items you've
forgotten such as credit card numbers, passwords, your
PGP key, or that really bad poetry you decided not
to post to the iBook list.

	Mike