[P1] OT: Fixed field length database files

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 8 14:26:35 PST 2003

On Saturday, March 8, 2003, at 04:27  PM, Signhelpers wrote:

> A little OT, but I'd like some input on converting some fixed field
> length record data files to something useable in Filemaker Pro on my
> iBook. (Back on topic?)
>
> Eons ago a database program I used called Panorama had ways to convert
> these to tab-delimited records that could be handled  by modern
> database systems. I don't see this function in FM Pro. Am I mission
> something? Any suggestions?

Import each record into a record. Then use a calculated field for each
fixed length field. Use the Midstring function in the calculation.
Something like, and I am not looking up the syntax,

cField1: midstring(fullstring,1,6)
cField2: midstring(fullstring,7,10)
cField3: midstring(fullstring, 11,3)

Trade some sinage for a working file?