[P1] iPhoto library move error

Jason Bennett jpbennett at mac.com
Tue Mar 11 17:28:44 PST 2003

I'm on digest so sorry if this has been solved...

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, Bruce Wood wrote:

> My clamshell iBook running 10.2.4 does not have a CD burner. I do have
> a SuperDisk drive and plenty of disks, which I would like to use to
> archive my iPhoto library. But when I try to copy the iPhoto library to
> disk, I get the message that "one or more items can't be copied." And
> then a message that the operation could not be completed because of an
> unexpected error. Is there a workaround?

I had a similar problem with the SuperDrive and that error message. In
my case (if memory serves) I determined that it choked because the file
names were too long. The problem stems from the fact your disk is
probably formatted as HFS. If you format it as HFS+, you shouldn't get
any errors due to long file names.

Try out the following: insert your disk and then launch Disk Utility
(in the Utilities folder). Highlight your disk on the left -- info
should then appear about the disk and its formatting. If it's HFS,
click the "erase" tab, and then select "Mac OS Extended" from the
toggle menu. Reformat, and then try moving your iPhoto library over and
see if that works.

Jason