Archive and Install

Mark Chapman mchapman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 11 18:04:24 PST 2003

>  >>> 6. System Issues. I don't remember the finder crashing with 10.1. But
>>>>
>>>  This is VERY ABNORMAL. Since you mention that you've repaired
>>>  permissions and run fsck, the only thing I can suggest is that your
>>>  installation is damaged. I would suggest that you try a clean install
>>>  (will not overwrite your old system). Did you by chance copy your 10.1
>>>  system from another machine, one that had a SCSI port or a SCSI card in
>>>  it?
>>
>>  How do I do a clean install? I tried to do that but when I booted
>>  from the Jaguar CD it did not give me that option. Re-installing the
>>  normal way did not get rid of these strange errors.

Okay. Lets see if I understand this. The messages I am getting are
abnormal. In order to fix them I need to erase the disk (not zero it,
not archive and install) and reinstall Jaguar from scratch (my disk
does not say it is an upgrade but does not give me the archive and
install option).

At this point I have no easy way of backing up my entire drive so
this will have to wait until I buy an external HD or CDRW. I did find
a way to install 10.2.4, rebuild the directory structure and optimize
the hard drive. None of this got rid of my problems.

Thanks for the advice. Mark
--
  Mark Chapman - Centre for the Study of Religion - University of Toronto