12" PowerBook = G4 iBook?

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 11 18:30:40 PST 2003

> Oh .. It just occurred to me !!! One big reason why not to get a powerbook
> !!!
> I could not post my questions to this list anymore !
> Now, THAT is a tough thing to consider

Doesn't stop Jack, and it doesn't stop me either, now that I have
a 12" PowerBook (though the 500MHz iBook is still doing good service
at home).  I have to say I'm having a great time with the PB.  With
X11, Fink, and Codetek VirtualDesktop, I rarely miss having Linux
on the PB, and with the additional sped, I'm more inclined to try
my hand with the iApps.  I've especially had fun feeding CDs into
iTunes with the dramatically improved encoding speed.

I find the heat can be a real concern if you're doing I/O and CPU
intensive stuff, but most of the time, it's pleasant sort of warm.
Conversely, when the PB first wakes up on a cold morning, the
aluminum skin feels a lot colder than the iBook's polycarbonate.
(Imagine that on your lap in the loo!)  The frame seems stiffer
than the iBook; overall, I find the PB tactilely pleasant to handle,
aside from the occasional temperature extremes.

There's no need for iBook owners to get defensive; I still think
it's a dynamite unit.  I objected to the 15" TiBook's size, so I
actually had a new iBook on order at the time the 12" PB was
announced.  So the new iBook became my sister's
birthday/graduation/Christmas/etc. gift.

If what you've got now makes you happy, stick with it.  There will be
newer iBooks and PBs coming to tempt you, all too soon.

Romain Kang                             Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain at kzsu.stanford.edu                except when indicated otherwise.