[P1] help! Dead ibook (700MHz - CDROM)

Brian Hugh Warren stationwagon at watchtan.com
Tue Mar 11 21:24:38 PST 2003

thanks for your replies...

> "target disk mode" ??  Try booting with the CD in the drive and
> holding down the "C" key from before you press the power button until

Target disk mode is cool - restart your ibook (or any mac w/ firewire)
and hold down "T" -  it turns your 'book into a hard drive - then plug
a firewire cable into it and another mac, the "Drive" should show up.
Fastest back-up method I know of.

I tried booting from a CD - it didn't work. I tried with a few
different CDs - the only one that worked (and it only worked once, i
tried it more than once) was the hardware test cd.

> I would try to Zap the PRAM.
Tried it. I let it "bong" about 7 or 8 times - for good measure. :)

> Now, if that doesn't work, you need to do a Power Manager reset.   On
> my 600 Mhz iBook this reset button is a tiny dot over the headphone
> jack.  I don't know if they moved it on your model.
can't find it. It's not above the headphone jack. Maybe it doesn't
exist on my model?

> Oh, keep in mind it's probably in Warranty.
yeah i'm afraid of having to resort to that. I've only had the ibook
(bought it refurb'd) for a few days.It wont even boot from any other cd.