[P1] how to speed up more os X: other ideas

Brian H. Warren stationwagon at watchtan.com
Thu Mar 13 09:34:16 PST 2003

Anybody have other ideas on how to speed up X? I tried something a couple
things and it worked pretty well.

First - I used Theme Changer - it's a package that basically changes the
look a little bit of OSX. Just like kaleidoscope does, but this one is free,
and maybe doesn't offer all the control that kaleidoscope does.

I guess less than incredibly fast computers choke a bit rendering all those
stripes that you see all over X.

Many of the themes available have non-striped looks to them. In fact there
are themes available that do nothing more than remove the stripes and
translucency of X. It can really speed up the GUI.

http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17504

As usual most of the themes are ugly....
http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/

The other thing I did was use Metallifizer to take the metal look off of
some ram-hungry apps like iCal and iPhoto.
http://www.unsanity.com

Good luck!

Brian