OS X Help Please

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Mar 17 16:17:23 PST 2003

> i booted into single user mode. i ran fsck -y, apparently i single
> user mode
> the default is /sbin. it coming up with directory errors. the errors
> will
> not clear after several tries.

You should keep doing the fsck until it's clear. Try doing the fsck and
then rebooting, then doing it again. That may help.

> What would be my best options if i can't
> find my pack of restore discs?

Buy DiskWarrior for $70. It will almost certainly be able to repair the
drive unless you have machine that can ONLY boot into OS X. If that's
the case, then buy Tech Tool Pro instead.

>  it is only a few weeks old, maybe i could
> take it into the apple dealer and they can run first aid?

If the machine can boot into OS 9 and if they have DW around, perhaps
they can help you. Good luck.

As it's under warranty, ultimately you can call Apple and have them
authorise a repair. It would be a pity not to backup your data before
that happens though, as there is some small risk that they will have to
wipe the drive in order to fix it (unlikely, but possible).

_Chas_

"That the PC world would doggedly stick to a dull, unimaginative,
clinical term like 'IEEE 1394' (notice how it just rolls off the tongue
- NOT) for the sole purpose of *saving a few pennies* over using an
imaginative, exciting, visually-stimulating term like 'FireWire' tells
you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW about the PC world and that whole
industry-wide mindset." - Me, March 2003