[P1] Classic still won't start

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 21 06:11:29 PST 2003

On Friday, March 21, 2003, at 07:08  AM, Joyce Ranieri wrote:

> Thanks, Brian, I'm not quite sure how to do this. OS X didn't come on
> my iBook (it's too old). I tried to use my original Software Restore
> Disk, but it wouldn't boot. Then I tried using the Software Restore
> that came with my new flat-panel iMac -- I got part way, but when I
> inserted the CD I got a message that this CD doesn't support this
> computer -- and my only option was to quit.

Classic is a piece of software in X that makes OS 9 useable. There is
no Classic as such to install, you just install OS 9.

Look for an OS 9 INSTALL DISK and install OS 9 on your drive after
rebooting to that CD. This disk must have shipped with your iBook,
since OS 9 install disks are machine specific, or it must be the over
the counter commercial edition which has the enabler for all Macs
shipped before its creation.

Some iBooks shipped with OS 8 and not OS 9, if my memory is correct, so
you may have to located an over the counter version of OS 9.

The enabler for your specific Mac must be on the install disk. Thus
disks shipped with a Mac only work with that Mac since Apple only
places the enabler for that Mac on that install disk.

If you buy over the counter the OS 9 install, it will not have enablers
for Macs introduced after the disk was created. but will work with
earlier Macs.

---

A follow up survey on the 66% of American's favoring a war with Iraq
showed that 0% of them were on the way to enlist for the war.

jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com