Classic still won't start

Joyce Ranieri jranieri at twcny.rr.com
Sat Mar 22 04:25:37 PST 2003

> I am not sure if this will help much, but system error -192 (not +192!)
> means Resource not found.
>
> My guess is that those extra files that make OSX start Classic are
> missing,
> and that it somehow is you OSX-installation that is hosed.
>
> When I first started Classic on any of my computers, I would get a
> message
> that OSX needs to copy some files to the system folder. Do you
> remember if
> it did so, and did you let it do it? That could be a cause too of
> course.

Yes, I know I did. For the first six months or so (April - Sept.) I
would start Classic regularly in order to get my Epson Digital Camera
to upload photos as it wouldn't work under OS X. I didn't take many
pictures through the fall, and then when I went to upload my Christmas
photos, "suddenly" Classic won't start. At the time, I decided to avoid
the problem by buying a card reader. Now, I need to run Crossword
Wizard, the only app I use that's not available in OS X, so the problem
has resurfaced.

> That you can boot into OS9 is very helpful to know, and here the
> semantics
> are quite important for us who try to troubleshoot, I was a bit
> confused
> about that message from you too, but I am glad I found out what you
> mean.
Sorry. I get really frustrated with X. I used to be able to trouble
shoot 9 -- and often got paid for fixing my friends' computers. This is
bugging me beyond belief! I can boot into 9.2 -- consistently. It is
just Classic that won't start.

> Did you try to repair permissions? (Sorry if this was already
> mentioned.. It
> was a too long week for me.)
No, I've NEVER done this, in spite of owning the iBook for almost a
year. Did that first thing this morning and there were a LOT of
permissions that needed correcting. Wow! I had seen discussion of this,
but sort of figured that if I wasn't having any real problems with the
iBook, everything was probably okay. Was I ever wrong! HOWEVER, that
did not solve the problem.

I decided that since Classic is an OS X app, I would try reinstalling X
-- so last night I did an "Archive" and install. That didn't help at
all, and Classic still won't start.

Other suggestions?

Joyce