Semi OT: aspect Ratios on widescreen pbooks ???

Peter Nacken caipirina at mac.com
Sat Mar 22 02:40:58 PST 2003

Hello People,

I have been contemplating about the display of aspect ratios on the
widescreen powerbooks (or even the 17" iMacs) when watching a DVD...

First of all, I doubt that the 15 / 17 inchers are not truly 16:9  rather
16:10 and 16:11 (I just calculated that just from the screen res and some
other specs, may be wrong) but here is the real question: On my widescreen
TV I can set different behaviours, e.g. When I put in a 4:3 DVD (let's say
X-files before season 5), it either shows it with black bars on the sides,
or I switch to cinema mode, and it cuts of some stuff on top and bottom to
fill the screen (there is also a silly panorama mode, which makes scully and
mulder look pretty fat, it just side stretches the whole thing)

So, how does the apple DVD player deal with that? What about "anamorphic"

I am very much looking into getting a 15" and those are just questions
popping up.

Thanks for your time, hope to get some replies