Classic still won't start

Joyce Ranieri jranieri at twcny.rr.com
Sat Mar 22 04:45:36 PST 2003

> There are two questions here, Can you reboot into 9.2 and when you are
> in X can you open the Classic Preference Panel and see your OS 9 system
> as a high lightable line in the scrolling list. Since you aren't
> interested in semantics and thus did not make a clear answer, I will
> ask again.
Sorry about the semantics comment. I am really getting frustrated! I
take pride in the fact that I'm quite good with computers and this one
has me totally stumped! I just haven't had to do any troubleshooting in
OS X! It's soooo stable!

Yes, I can boot into 9.2 -- consistently -- with no problems. When I
try to start Classic from the Classic Preference Panel, I get the exact
same message, "Sorry, a system error occurred. "System" error type 102
To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift
key." With a button that says "Restart". If I click on restart, it
tries to start, and then ends in the same message. The pull-down menu
looks different to me than what I recall seeing before -- Under the
Start/Stop tab, I have iBook HD, with a down arrow (triangle) next to
it, and underneath that it says "System Folder". Above that in bold
print it says "Classic is starting from "/iBook HD/System Folder"  Is
that the correct system folder? Or is it ignoring my folder with 9 and
looking in the OS X folder? Underneath the tab Memory/Versions, it says
"Mac OS: NA, Classic Support: NA, Classic Enabler: NA, Classic
Environment: NA." OOPS -- I guess those look about the same on my 17"
flat-panel iMac that isn't having problems. So I guess everything there
"looks" okay.

> The reason for the question is that if you cannot start classic from
> the Preference pane, then you probably have a corrupt Start Classic
> file, one with bad permissions or a corrupt preference file.
Is there a plist that I can delete? I cannot start Classic under my son
Andy's login, either.

> One easy try is to open Disk Utility and select your OS X volume and
> then click on Repair Preferences. This resolves a ton of problems that
> can drive people crazy and I am beginning to think it is almost
> required after a freeze, crash or whenever one begins to have problems.
Did you mean Repair Permissions? I don't see a spot for Repair
Preferences. I Repaired Permissions this morning -- and that didn't
help.

Other ideas? (Short of installing CrossWord Wizard on my Windoze at
school and forgetting about Classic entirely!)

Joyce