Copying a CD

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Mar 23 21:31:18 PST 2003

> From: David Crump <davecrump at mac.com>
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to make a copy of a CD using my iBook and
> Disc Burner.  My Uncle sent me a CD of pictures he took at our wedding
> and I want to send copies to our parents.  I have figured out how to
> copy the data, then burn it on another disc, but I thought there must
> be an easy way to just make an exact duplicate of the disc.  I have a
> clamshell iBook with an external burner.  No Toast.  Is this possible
> with disc copy (OS X)?   I used to be able to use this with the same
> burner on my performa with toast in OS 9 using "SCSI Copy".  There must
> be a way to do a direct copy with disc copy in OS X.

Are you using "Disc Copy" in your Utilities folder?

1. Open Disc Copy
2. Insert disc you want to copy
3. File -> New -> Image from Device. Point it at the CD. Make disc
image. Specify it as a "DVD/CD Master" unless it is an Audio CD.
4. When that's done, remove original CD and insert blank CD.
5. File -> Burn Image.

_Chas_

James Lileks, on Apple's iMovie versus XP's Moviemaker:
"Was [my bro-in-law's] machine cheaper? Yes. But time is money; I've
never had to claw my way through the sodden mess of a corporate website
looking for the one driver that will let me do what I want to do. I've
never had to spend a Sunday afternoon trying to understand what iMovie
wants me to do, because it does what *I* want it to do. He said that
Moviemaker made him feel stupid, because he couldn't figure out the
simplest tasks.
I'll say this for his machine, though: if he ever wants to back up that
3.3 GB movie file on floppy disks, he's all set."