a new kind of crash

David Crump davecrump at mac.com
Sun Mar 23 23:09:45 PST 2003

Thanks to everyone for your help so far with my problem.  It actually
got worse before it got better.  I had two crashes (kernel panics) the
same day, and iTunes was not running, so that is no longer suspect.

<snip>
"Just a guess, do you have less than say a Gigabyte of harddisk space
left?
Then it might well be the virtual memory eating it up.
</snip>

Response:
I had 1.5 GB of space left on the 10GB drive.  I freed up another Gig,
then ran Plus Optimizer, and it was pretty badly fragmented.  I
optimized the drive, and so far it hasn't crashed on me.  It actually
brought up another question for those of you with more experience with
Disk Warrior and Plus Optimizer... I got this message when trying to
optimize the drive:

<snip>
The directory is anchored because it is always in use.

1 anchored file(s) found.

Anchored files are files which cannot be moved by PlusOptimizer. When a
disk with anchored files is optimized, there is a possibility that
other files or the free space will be fragmented around the anchored
files.

The directory is always in use and cannot be moved. Normally it is not
necessary to move the directory but the directory on this disk is
fragmented.
</snip>

Is there any way I can fix this, or is there not a problem?
Thanks,
Dave.