Semi OT: aspect Ratios on widescreen pbooks ???

Peter Nacken caipirina at mac.com
Tue Mar 25 18:36:52 PST 2003

I am reposting this, since I fear it got lost among "ibook sick" and "sig
rules" .. I am also aware that my location and being 17 - 21 hours ahead of
the US flings my emails way down the inbox ..

I bet here are movie lovers who care about aspect ratios just like I do .
(hmm .. What about DD5.1 and DTS on powerbooks ??? :)

Hello People,

I have been contemplating about the display of aspect ratios on the
widescreen powerbooks (or even the 17" iMacs) when watching a DVD...

First of all, I doubt that the 15 / 17 inchers are not truly 16:9  rather
16:10 and 16:11 (I just calculated that just from the screen res and some
other specs, may be wrong) but here is the real question: On my widescreen
TV I can set different behaviours, e.g. When I put in a 4:3 DVD (let's say
X-files before season 5), it either shows it with black bars on the sides,
or I switch to cinema mode, and it cuts of some stuff on top and bottom to
fill the screen (there is also a silly panorama mode, which makes scully and
mulder look pretty fat, it just side stretches the whole thing)

So, how does the apple DVD player deal with that? What about "anamorphic"

I am very much looking into getting a 15" and those are just questions
popping up.

Thanks for your time, hope to get some replies

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
<ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Need help from a real person? Try.
<ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
  --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

iBookPlanet.com |  Visit iBookPlanet.com for the hottest

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>

------ End of Forwarded Message