ibook very sick

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Mar 25 22:39:22 PST 2003

> From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
>
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Charles Martin wrote:
>
>> I'm afraid I don't understand any part of that second sentence.
>
> Upgrade your parser (it was typed over a loaded ssh link). The sentence
> should have read: ``Is it the "magnesium frame broken" failure mode?''

That still doesn't make much sense to me. Are you asking me if I've
seen many instances where the magnesium frame of the iBooks has been
broken? If so, the answer is no. I just asked around the various
service centers here in Orlando and they all say they've not see that
at all. They have seen a number of hinge/video problems like the one
you've described, but all the instances they've seen are from iBooks
older than the most recent versions.

> Since I bought mine in January, the hinge problem apparently still
> persists.

Could it be that this was a previous model still in the sales channel?
Again, I don't recall exactly when the latest version of iBooks came
out. Wasn't it on or shortly after MacWorld?

> Do you think that apart from the hinge having a two years lifetime when
> running all the time (albeit mostly with display off) is realistic? I
> have
> no experience with notebook hardware, especially one from Cupertino.

Laptops are, by their nature, subject to more abuse than desktops and
consequently have a shorter average lifespan. However, the "pinched
video in the hinge" syndrome is a manufacturing and/or design flaw, not
the result of user abuse (generally speaking). Consequently, Apple has
been fixing those units as they see the problem appear in in-warranty
repairs. I don't know what their policy is on units having the same
problem that are out of warranty. On some occasions, Apple has been
known to fix known issues on out-of-warranty machines at no charge
anyway as a goodwill gesture. I don't know if this policy is applied
consistently or if it has ever been invoked on this particular problem.

_Chas_

Atheist having orgasm: "Ooo chemical chance! Chemical CHANCE!!"
- Bill Hicks