[P1] Semi OT: aspect Ratios on widescreen pbooks ???

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Wed Mar 26 01:55:24 PST 2003

On 2003-03-26 03:36, Peter Nacken wrote:

> First of all, I doubt that the 15 / 17 inchers are not truly 16:9  rather
> 16:10 and 16:11 (I just calculated that just from the screen res and some
> other specs, may be wrong) but here is the real question: On my widescreen TV
> I can set different behaviours, e.g. When I put in a 4:3 DVD (let's say
> X-files before season 5), it either shows it with black bars on the sides, or
> I switch to cinema mode, and it cuts of some stuff on top and bottom to fill
> the screen (there is also a silly panorama mode, which makes scully and mulder
> look pretty fat, it just side stretches the whole thing)
>
> So, how does the apple DVD player deal with that?

I can't tell you what will happen on those particular screens with 100%
certainty, but the Apple DVD Player behaves as follows on both my iBook
(1024x768 pixels; 4:3 aspect ratio) and my Cube (1280x1024 pixels; 5:4
aspect ratio): no matter what the aspect ratio of the film is, when the DVD
player is set to full screen, it enlarges the picture until the screen is
filled either horizontally, or vertically, then it leaves the rest black. In
other words, it makes the picture as big as possible, without changing the
aspect ratio.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--