[P1] clamshell can't take 512Mb stick

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Mon May 5 05:54:14 PDT 2003

Joe Jones wrote:
> You might want to hold off on that 512 stick - I don't think the
> clamshell iBook can accept an sodimm that size. I think the maximum size
> for that line is 256Mb.
>
> Check with an online retailer first to see if that 512 will work. I
> think the first iBook to take that size was the first of the white new
> shape iBooks, the 500Mhz one.

Yes they can, check some sites selling Apple RAM and they do sell 512s
for clamshells, actually RAM for all iBooks is the same low profile SO
DIMM as for 233-333 iMacs.

The specs from Apple say that it only takes 256MB SO DIMMs, because at
that time 512s weren't available yet. I guess that when 1GB SO DIMMs hit
the market, they'll work aswell.

And here's a report from Brian Pearce on this list from 08-04-03
(talking 'bout 512MB SO DIMM's in clamshell iBooks):

"I just installed one about two weeks ago (in a Key Lime iBook), and
I've had nothing but success. You also have the option of getting a
"low-power" version that uses less power (and would tax the battery
less), but in my experience, the regular RAM I installed hasn't changed
my iBook's battery life.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net"

*
*