Mail w/o images?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed May 7 14:43:25 PDT 2003

> From: Fran Dollinger <fran at dollingers.com>
>
> Ok, new subject! I'm using Mail as my default and I'm not getting any
> images to load from emails sent to me in HTML. I'm getting blue boxes
> with the filename of the image up in the top left corner
> like...topimg.jpg  or  front.gif.....
> or little darker blue boxes with question marks in them. Is there a
> setting that I overlooked in order to see images?

Fran:

This is a GOOD thing. You don't *want* HTML mail. It carries viruses
(not that this will affect your Mac, but could be passed on to PCs), is
active spyware (when your email "calls" for the HTML images to be
downloaded, the spammers know you are reading their mail! Guess what
they'll do next?), can cause corruption and quits (rare in Mail but not
unheard of) and bloats your inbox.

Apple themselves are the ONLY company or individual that sends me HTML
mail that I don't delete unread.

The text of these emails comes through fine, so you can read the
IMPORTANT part of the information being sent to you without having to
tie up the machine downloading what could be MEGS of HTML data.

But if you REALLY insist on punishing yourself, you can turn on HTML
viewing under the "viewing" preferences in Mail. If they are already
on, then you may just not be giving the email enough time to download
large images. Again, I would seriously consider the repercussions of
HTML mail before setting your preferences to allow it.

_Chas_

"The Box said 'Windows 95 or better' ... so I got a Macintosh."