[P1] the whirring is back! was:new ibook problem...

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Thu May 8 04:14:25 PDT 2003

On 2003-05-08 04:36, Jeff Newman wrote:

> I'm no engineer, but you said charging continues after the battery should have
> been completely recharged. I hope you mentioned that detail to Apple. Sounds
> like maybe they failed to reconnect a hose properly and your radiator's
> overheating. Or some e-equivalent. Overcharging's gotta generate extra heat,
> right?

Nope. Li-Ion batteries do not overcharge. They're extremely user-friendly;
you can just pump a constant voltage into them, and they will charge until
full and then stay more or less full.

However, Apple design their portables to stop charging once the battery is
fully charged, and then recharge it from time to time when it drops below a
certain level, somewhere between 95% and 97%. So when the battery indicator
in the menu bar claims you battery is fully charged, yet the AC adapter plug
turns amber from time to time, that's nothing to worry about.

If your adapter plug is always amber, you either want to reset the power
manager, or you have a broken plug (like I do: mine's always green, whether
it's charging or not).

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the
best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is