[P1] Spam Safety Using Mail.app

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu May 8 06:49:05 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 09:21  AM, Mike Beede wrote:

>> Option 3. Open Mail preferences and temporarily disable your account.
>> Again, no guarantees that spam may not hide something in your memory.
>
> If what you're worried about is an HTTP connection, disabling your
> mail account isn't going to do anything.  Turning off HTML in your
> mail preferences, though.  I'm not aware of any way that a message
> can do anything else to advertise your presence unless you open
> or save an attachment.

I am not interested in disabling html, just not opening spam with html.
HTML is not evil it is used by evil people...

The spam will transmit requests of some sort as soon as you click on
the subject line. You can see this activity occur in the Internet
Control window thermometer. Some messages will become active and some
will not. Those that do not have urls to go to for photos and graphics
will probably not.

So, the effort here is to prevent that from happening via the
suggestions I list so that I can click on the spam subject line without
getting nailed and verify if it really is spam, etc.

Temporarily disabling the account will do that.
Disconnecting is easier and less likely to cause problems or
aggravation but as was pointed out some people may not want to
disconnect.

---
When you decide to forward a chain email, put your name at the top of
the list and delete the idiot's name who sent it to you...

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com