[P1] Faxing in OSX

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu May 8 06:59:05 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 09:34  AM, Mike Beede wrote:

> I think we can accept for the purposes of discussion
> that he *has* a standalone fax, and that he wants to
> use his Mac for faxing instead.

You can fax from a Powerbook from anywhere you can find an available
phone jack.

You can only pickup a fax sent to a phone number while you are
connected to its phone jack.

You cannot pickup faxes aimed at a phone number from another phone
number.

Faxes aren't sent like email, although there are probably services
where you can have faxes sent and then download faxes like you download
email or ftp.

If your Powerbook isn't connected to the phone line where the fax is
being sent, the sender gets a failure and may or may not retry later.
However, if you are away 8 hours there is a possibility the fax will
never get sent or received. If this is a bad thing, then a permanent
installed fax machine is required.

---
Why is it that the government can determine that a spam fax is worth a
$500 penalty payble by the sender to the recipient but takes no stand
on email spam?

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com