[P1] airport question

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Thu May 8 08:20:21 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 09:21  AM, Shahara9 at aol.com wrote:

> what is the reasoning for the airport base with or without a modem?
> if one's computer has a modem, it doesn't need a base with a modem?
> i read the info on the apple site, but i can't find a good answer as
> to who
> needs which model.
> thanks.
> ~shahara in WI

The base station with the modem also has a way to connect external
antennae to extend the range a bit. The modem is for those who have to
dial-in to their ISP. A computer with an Airport card would connect to
the base and the base would do the connecting (with the modem) to the
ISP via phone lines. That's my understanding of what the modem is for.
I can't imagine there being a huge demand for that configuration,
except that it's the only way to get the external antenna feature.

Charles Pearce
<charlesp at ksu.edu>