[P1] airport question

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Thu May 8 08:37:28 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 11:20  AM, Charles Pearce wrote:

> The base station with the modem also has a way to connect external
> antennae to extend the range a bit. The modem is for those who have to
> dial-in to their ISP. A computer with an Airport card would connect to
> the base and the base would do the connecting (with the modem) to the
> ISP via phone lines. That's my understanding of what the modem is for.
> I can't imagine there being a huge demand for that configuration,
> except that it's the only way to get the external antenna feature.

I have the original grey Airport Base Station, which came in only one
configuration and included a modem. I used it to dial-up Earthlink for
about a year and a half before cable internet became available in my
neighborhood. It was great for sharing the one dial-up connection
between two or three computers. Checking email and web browsing didn't
tax the slow connection too badly, unless somebody was downloading.

I still use it periodically when I have to give presentations and have
a need to go online. Often the locations don't have a phone or ethernet
connection near the projector. I just find the nearest fax machine or
non-digital phone and hook up the ABS to it (with permission, of
course).

Mark