[P1] OT limiting dl speeds

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Fri May 30 08:31:49 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 03:41 US/Central, Dr. Peter Stoyanov wrote:

> my mother has just been connected to sort of broadband service here in
> Sofia, Bulgaria (we call it here LAN net - a local ISP pulls an
> ethernet cable to your home/office and connects you to internet via
> you ps's lan card). I have to limit her download speeds to 3 k/sek in
> accordance with her connection plan.
>
> Has anybody  used such utility? or can offer some advice.

My advice is that the ISP should handle whatever rate limiting
they want.  Is there any regulatory authority that you can check
with?  Asking customers to limit their speed seems ridiculous--like
telling customers they can't open their water taps all the way.

All this is of course prefatory to saying that I don't know of
any way to do this.  The kernel's goal is pushing the bits
through as fast as they can.  If you had a serial link and two
machines, you could send everything through a PPP connection.
Then you could set the speed of the serial link.

Good luck,

	Mike