[P1] To Partition or...!

RUFFIN BAILEY rufbo1 at comcast.net
Sat May 31 07:51:11 PDT 2003

> > From: Stephen Hywyn Jones <Steve at hywyn.plus.com>
> >
> > I've been advised that "partitioning" is the only way to go, but
> > given that
> > ibooks now install both operating systems in the same sector as
> > default, I'm
> > hoping that their advice is based on old knowledge, and that the
> > new ibooks and operating systems are less prone to crashes.
> >
> Partitioning has nothing to do with any crashes. Just leave it the
> way
> Apple sent it to you unless you have some VERY SPECIFIC reason for
> doing otherwise.

I'd like to kindly disagree with this advice (or perhaps just offer one
very specific reason!).  The first thing I do with any OS 9 and X
bootable machine is partition the hard drive and install the OS on
seperate partitions.  I'd even recommend having a third partition for
important data [that you have a copy of on another partition].  I like
to use extra hard drives on towers (safer!), which is kinda (har har)
hard to do on the iBook, but partitions buy you a similar effect.

Why?  Well, if your hard drive is over 20 gigs, you've got space.  And
when something *really* fooks on your iBook, say an OS conflict issue,
sometimes installing the OS from scratch is the fastest and easiest way
to get back up and running.  And when I say "from scratch", I mean
wiping the partition and getting a fresh install from CD (and then
firing up software update for a while).

So when OS X corrupts somehow or becomes unbootable, you'd boot into OS
9 on the separate partition, grab the files you need from your X
partition (moving them to 9 or storage) and wipe the X part clean.
Quick, easy, safe, and effective.  If your drive up and dies, well,
you're still toast.  Hope you bought a CD burner and used it! :^)

Fwiw, I'd recommend using half your hard drive for X (many apps like to
live on the same partition, like fink & friends) and a quarter for 9 &
another quarter for storage space.  Your prefs might indicate different
partition sizes, but that's a pretty safe start.

But I would stress that if you don't feel comfortable partitioning,
don't.  I'd recommend becoming comfortable, however!  :^D  YMMV.

Ruffin Bailey