[P1] 17" Laptops

Fred Stevens K2FRD K2FRD at stny.rr.com
Mon Nov 3 15:24:56 PST 2003

At 16:22 -0600 03/11/03, Remell Boyer wrote:
>Dudes, c'mon it can't be that bad.

It is. I started on Windoze PeeCees and switched to Macs some years
ago 'cause I was sick and tired of screwing around with the systems;
due to reasons previously mentioned, I still have to work with
PeeCees. For comparison, I have a very good friend who is a
Windoze/PC tech for a major national firm. When I mentioned I leave
my Mac on 24/7, but have to reboot my Dell a couple three times each
session, he said, "Welcome to the world of Windows."  Frozen and
missing cursors, computer freezes and crashes due to conflicitng
applications/drivers/other software, and lack of consistancy of
terminology are just part of the negative side of Windows life; it's
not in Mac life.

>  You act like the MacOS has no problems, like it never crashes or
>freezes, or new OS X updates don't invalidate things that were
>already working ;).
>You just said yourself, when your dvd player goes down.  I
>understand your affinity for your platform or choice, but I know its
>not as bad as you make it out.  There are a few things that you have
>to admit:  Macs are more expensive, no matter which way you slice
>the "get what you pay for/value argument".

Yes, Macs are more expensive. So what? If one wants guaranteed
quality, one has to spring the bucks. I just bought a Jeep Grand
Cherokee because I wanted quality; I cudda bought a Kia.

>  They are slower,

Don't know where you got this idea. T'ain't true, McGee. I'll match
my iBook 900 with any 1.2gb PeeCee any day of the week and twice on
Sunday for speed.

>they less flexible with hardware choices

Hardware for PeeCees tends to be inferior (low cost:  ya git whatcha
pay for) with poorly-written software, particularly drivers, which
corrupts with time if it isn't corrupt out of the box. I don't know
what PC hardware might be available that comparible hardware isn't
available for Macs.

If you had stated that Macs are less flexible with SOFTWARE choices,
I might have agreed since there ARE more software choices written for
PCs than for Macs. The quantity is driven by the PC-dominated market.
Quality of such choices is another issue; we seldom find junk
software written for Macs.

>, and mostly behind the technology curve.  For as many innovations
>as Apple introduces, there are many more that they miss.

Apple has been, currently is, and probably will continue to lead the
pack in innovations. F'r'instance, the new G5 with its 64-bit
processors, 8gb of RAM, and a bus speed with so many zeroes I lost
count. Has Dell/Celeron/Intel come out with anything even close? Oh
yeah, don't forget about iPods which have gobbled up the MP3 market.
The PC designers are scrambling just to catch up.

>Every platform has is problems, and in the end, it all balances out.
>You just have to find a platform that works for you, and leave it at
>that.
>The bashing is really not neccessary.  Can't we just play nice?

No. by sharing arguments among our fellow Mac-users, we pass along
information for others to use when some misguided soul tries to tell
us the Mac are "behind the technology curve".
--
3333333 de Fred