[P1] 17" Laptops

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 4 04:22:30 PST 2003

On Nov 3, 2003, at 11:39 PM, Brian Pearce wrote:

> There are many, many reasons that Apple only hold a small share of the
> larger PC market, but I doubt this is one of them.

Apple's business decisions are one reason why Apple has only a small
share of the market. Apple was last with color, last with Ethernet and
networking and still prefers graphics and music to business
applications which seems to be the largest potential market.

When Apple decided to buy a database application, it wisely disregarded
Foxbase, passed on 4D and settled on Filemaker. 80% or more of
Filemaker's sales are to Windows users. 4D almost failed when it added
Windows compatibility.

Perhaps one of Apple's biggest problem was its promotion of the mouse
and refusal to standardize on the keyboard used by the PC market. No
page up/down etc keys. The mouse is better even if everyone wants those
keys and is suffering pain from all of the mouse movement.

And of course Apple slit its throat when it licensed the crown jewels
to Microsoft and Windows was perceived as being as easy to use as a
Mac....

Apple now produces a superior product but if you go back to the
beginning Macintosh years, comparing Apples to PCs, Macs were in last
place in many categories, except for ease of use.

---
Trees are being sucked dry of life in South Florida by a tiny insect.
<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>