Portable Heat

Joe Sporleder joe at beloit-kansas.com
Wed Nov 5 07:43:20 PST 2003

Does anyone else think that the iBooks get a little too hot, meaning
possibly decreasing the life span of its components? With my 900mhz G3
12" iBook, I have to be careful about using the edge of a bed or cloth
chair as a "table", as these surfaces are not good for dissipating the
heat generated by the machine. In fact, Apple's knowledge base
recommends avoiding using cloth surfaces on the 12" PowerBook G4, and I
would think the same advice would apply to the iBook too. I would think
now that the new iBooks have G4s, they'd generate about the same level
of heat as the PowerBooks. In the area of the hard drive is where the
iBook seems the hottest. According to System Profile, it is a 40GB
Toshiba. I have had to have both the hard drive and main logic board
replaced in this machine. At least I won't have to worry too much for 3
years... that's what AppleCare is for! :-)

Joe