[P1] New iBook User, Questions

david davidwb at spymac.com
Thu Nov 13 14:51:39 PST 2003

On 11/13/03 5:24 PM, "Brandon M. Bost" <bbost at earthlink.net> wrote:

> By the way, I would
> hope to make a really good backup of everything just in case something
> happened, and the only access I have to a CD burner is on my PC.  Is this
> idea feasable:
>
> 1) Make, using Toast (which came on the computer as well, I have no idea why
> since it doesn't have a CDRW...maybe it had an external one...) an iso of
> most of the stuff on the harddrive
> 2) Using a crossover cable, transfer the files through the ethernet ports
> 3) Using the CD burner software on my PC, make backup CDs with the ISO
> files?
>
> Would this work, and how could I go about doing this so that they would work
> on my Mac?  Or, if anybody has a better idea (which, for the moment, buying
> a CD burner is out of the question at least for a few more months) please,
> let me know.  Thanks again.

For reasons I won't go into unless you are interested, you don't want to
just copy Mac files over to the PC. Use Stuffit (or the Mac's built in zip
compression) to compress files before you copy them to your PC. Then you can
burn them to a CD. Your Mac will be able to read a standard single session
CD made on a PC.

david