[P1] slow iBook

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Mon Nov 24 18:32:38 PST 2003

> Cocktail 3.1.1
>
> - Scripts
> Run system tasks that would normally run if your Mac was running
> 24/24. This
> is UNIX stuff. Just do it. I run "ALL" on the iBook since it's not
> always
> on.

There's a version of cron called "anacron" that understands laptops
(like many people) sleep at night. When you start up (or wake up) the
computer, it runs any scripts that should have been run while the
system was otherwise indisposed.

My old NEC laptop (running Debian Linux) uses anacron, and it
works quite well -- no dealing with add-ons like Cocktail, no matter
how handy, you can't beat automatic. :-) I rather wish that it was
standard equipment for OSX.
--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."