[P1] Panther bits

Zoki zoki.news at linuxix.net
Sun Nov 30 23:41:16 PST 2003

Le 30/11/2003 01:47, « Gary » <joehardy at mac.com> a écrit :

<snip>

>   So I'm back to Entourage. I don't mind that it's Microsoft. It just
> proves to me once again that Microsoft makes better products for the Mac
> than for Windows.  :)

*** :-) I think the communication channels between the Windows and the Mac
team at M'soft are having problems. The good and original ideas don't seem
to end up at the Windows developper's desks...

What hasn't been mentioned during the compaison of Mail and Entourage
(G3-800) is that Mail slows down when it has to "swallow" a lot of mail
and/or if your address book has a lot of entries. I talk about > 600
messages a day and approx 1500 contacts. I'm on several Linux lists, one of
them generating a lot of messages so the amount is normal. A assure you, I
don't read them all but they're still downloaded. Furthermore, I find Mail,
by default, a bit of a hog for a G3 CPU, even without a lot of messages.

However, I don't advice buying MS Office X just for the Entourage client.
Mail still can be used by taking some precautions.

Then, ofcourse, the Calendar is more polished than iCal and snappier on a
G3. The ability to link e.g. an appointment with a ToDo item with the
Address with a Note (or any other combination) within Entourage is a nice
feature too.

Entourage's main argument? It came bundled with my iBook... :-)

--
Cheers,
Zoran.

If C lets you shoot yourself in the foot, C++ lets you blow your whole leg
off.
  -- Bjarne Stroustrup