[P1] Panther OS 10.3

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Fri Oct 10 23:55:32 PDT 2003

> I have a Clamshell that I don't use much and might even consider
> selling. However, I didn't think that
> Panther would be less appropiate than Jaguar. Is it likely to run less
> well on a Clamshell?

I can't imagine you'd see a *decrease* in performance compared to the
current version. But the more processing power the better; obviously,
my experience using OS X on a 466 mhz G3 iBook is going to be somewhat
inferior to a faster G4 or G5. So I'm not anticipating much of an
improvement in performance for my iBook (but I'll be thrilled if it
happens).

> Also, at this stage, does anyone think that the update cycle of OS X
> will be a major rebuild every year? I suppose the time will come when
> "OS X" becomes "OS" something else? "OS XI" doesn't have quite the
> same panache about it :)

I expect so, if for no other reason than it provides Apple with another
regular revenue stream (not to mention the appearance of progress).

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net