[P1] Migrating to a new mac

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Wed Sep 3 09:58:38 PDT 2003

On 2003-09-03 18:45, david wrote:

>> Actually, according to most of the reading that I have done, OS-X is supposed
>> to be using the same installation regardless of the hardware. I have loaded a
>> Mac OS-X system on my iPod and have booted various computers (white and
>> clamshell iBooks, Beige, B&W Mac, Cube) and not have had any problems (I
>> installed the system by cloning a new clamshell install).
>
> I *think* you are right BUT with some machines using Gforce and others ATI,
> with various optical drives in use etc I just don't want to take the chance.

The drivers for almost all supported Apple OEM hardware is installed with
any OS X install; drivers are loaded selectively at start-up depending on
whether or not they are needed.

That said, I have heard rumours that not all OS X installs are created
equal; there are apparently some situations where the OS X boot volume from
one particular model will not boot another. I myself have never encountered
such a situation, however.

When 3rd party hardware drivers come into the picture, however, I'd say all
bets are off.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.