[P1] wireless signal problem

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Tue Sep 9 06:31:29 PDT 2003

>>> HELP?? To connect to the internet, I now have to STAND and hold my
>>> iBook up close to the router that is sitting on top of a bookshelf.
>>

> If nothing has changed on your end then just lie to tech support, tell
> them that you have an apple base station.

I guess the first thing I'd do is make sure it isn't the router.
That means find someplace else with wireless, or try out another
system that you believe works properly with the router.  When you've
verified that it works, call tech support back and tell them that
it doesn't matter that you don't have an XYZZY!@#@@ Airport base
station--the computer is busted.  I believe if it's taken *three*
times to repair the problem that you're entitled to some consideration
for your trouble.  If you wanted an upgrade to a combo drive or
something like that, ask if they'd consider doing it "for your
trouble."

I'd also endorse the "lie to tech support" route, but then they
might ask you to do something with the base station and you'd
have to pretend to do it and pretty soon you're in the middle
of an episode of _I Love Lucy_.

Good luck with your problem.  I'm sure they'll make it right,
and at least it usually only takes three or four days.  This
is much easier to appreciate if you or someone you know has
ever taken a computer to someplace like Bust Buy for repair....

	Mike Beede