[P1] FS: Airport card - Sold my iBook

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Sun Sep 21 01:15:33 PDT 2003

On 2003-09-21 03:29, david wrote:

> On 9/20/03 8:37 PM, "Joost van de Griek" <joost at jvdg.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2003-09-20 16:19, david wrote:
>>
>>> What's the use of having mobility if you are tied to a phone/ethernet cord?
>>
>> Well, I wired my entire house with Ethernet (including a port on each side of
>> the bed, and even one in the bathroom), so I have no immediate need for a
>> wireless network... Besides, I doubt my employer would appreciate my
>> broadcasting work-related data on WiFi.
>
> My house is wired too - installed it when we ran new electrics. But there is a
> big difference between being tied to a cord (no matter how convenient it is)
> and being wireless. I can work in the yard, go next door, roam the building at
> work, sit at the coffeehouse, even perch the computer on my '57 Chevy and
> search for a part.

I have no yard, no business going next door, an AirPort network at home
wouldn't do much for roaming at work, and I don't own a car.

My point is simply that not everyone uses their computers in the same
manner.

> Besides, you¹ve never heard of WEP?

Yes, I have. Despite its name, any encryption can be cracked, and cracking
WEP isn't even all that hard. Neither is gaining access to a protected WiFi
network.

> And, having an airport card doesn't mean you can't use a wire if you and the
> boss are paranoid about WiFi. Of course, being tethered to a wire doesn't mean
> you are secure.

I am not paranoid, I just happen to work with very sensitive data. I know
being tethered to a wire doesn't mean you're secure, but it is still way
more secure than literally broadcasting your network traffic into a 50 meter
radius.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Why do people with closed minds always open their mouths?