[P1] weird netscape

Kim Gammelgaard kgani at mac.com
Sun Sep 21 04:20:04 PDT 2003

I am afraid you will get the same problem with Safari, but I wouldn't worry
too much if I were you.

In the morning before I leave home, I open three windows in Safari, one with
my  news, one with Mac-pages and one with daily stuff, and sometimes one
with Blogs too, all using tabs. That way I have 100-125 pages open in 3-4
windows at the same time, and I can read them all on my way to work on the
train and in the bus.

This will make Safari eat 375 MB of memory, which I think is very fair. I
only have 320 MB RAM in this iBook, but the wonder of OSX virtual memory,
does that I can just ignore that fact.

When I then close all the pages including all windows again, Safari is still
using 247 MB, that it doesn't release after use, so Safari has also a
problem here, and I do also occasionally restart Safari, as I only have room
for a GB VM on my oldish iBook. I do seem to remember that this behavior is
the same, if I just surf for a long period of time without much tabbing, but
as I use tabs so extensively as I do now, I cannot say for sure.

Netscape on the other hand is quite fast, after you start it. My two
complaints against it is 1) it takes ages to load and 2) it spends far too
much screen estate on its widgets and stuff and too little on the page
itself, but apart from that, I find it a very good browser. I am pretty sure
it can import your bookmarks, perhaps this little thing will do:

I don't know much about Mail's import capabilities, but 3000 messages isn't
that much, so if you have sufficient harddisk capacity, it shouldn't be a
problem at all. The problems I remember, were by going from OS9 to OSX given
the limits of the OS9-applications, certainly not the X-versions.

Cheers,

Kim