[P1] ibook track pad not working...

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sun Sep 21 12:35:29 PDT 2003

M. Kadioglu wrote the following:

> So it appears to me that I  have either bad
> soldering, or the logic board/track pad functions are no good, OR....
> there is some kind of software that I  need to reinstall so that the
> track pad can be recognized. I  am running 10.2.6 at the moment, and do
> not have OS9 on the problem iBook. Any tips would be greatly
> appreciated. Matt.

Not sure if this will help but if you were willing to do your own soldering
then it will be a piece of cake in comparison :)

If you were able to install the track pad in another iBook (I assume you had
to solder it there as well? then it should not be your soldering...unless
you were not so gentle the first time...I would imagine that it is rather
your board is warped, cracked (may not be visible) or otherwise defective
(other components or soldering points at other points around the area)...I
would imagine that it had to have some abuse/defect to cause the trackpad to
not function in the first place, no? Can you see signs of damage on the
board at the contact points for the trackpad or at the mounting points for
the board? What about the casing itself, does it show damage signs?

But to be sure it is not the software side of things try to get a firmware
update (latest for your iBook) and see if you can install that again and
later the OS again...I believe it will not because it will check to see if
you already have it but there may be a work around??? Also I would suggest
making a backup of all your data first before doing any of the above...but I
am sure you have done this already, or?

HTH,

Richard