[P1] Mac OS X not so stable...

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Tue Sep 30 19:52:10 PDT 2003

Gloria Vogel wrote:

> Are you saying we should, or should not, turn off our Macs in between
> uses?  ...  I tend to leave my desktop G4 on and sleep my iBook, and
> he always turns off his desktop G4 even if only for ten minutes'
> absence from it.

I usually log out of the iBook every couple of days; that seems to
reduce the occasional episodes when it goes comatose at wake-up time.

My work desktop is a b/w G3 running Jaguar, and it stays powered up for
weeks or months at a time. I log in & out daily, and shut it down only
for vacations, hardware poking, or if a line of heavy thunderstorms is
on the way. Basically, I treat it like a Unix workstation.

Shutting off a desktop system for 10 minutes is kind of excessive, IMO.
If you have dodgy power or numerous thunderstorms, it's not a bad idea
though.
--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."