[P1] G3 iBook SE on a Wireless Net

Nikon's World nikon80x at mac.com
Tue Apr 13 20:55:29 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, April 13, 2004, at 02:25  PM, TDrulard at flowserve.com wrote:

> So, we've got the new house with the cable modem and it seems like the
> time
> to set up a Wireless network.
> The desktop G3 will be in the computer room, with the cable modem.
> There, I
> will connect the wireless router. (Connecting printers may happen
> later.)
> Then I want to put a wireless connection card in my G3 iBook 466 SE
> (Graphite), running 9.2, for all the reason we like to have such
> things.
> Here's my questions:
> 1) Does it have to be an Apple AirPort card, or are there other,
> cheaper
> options?

Apple's airport card is the only one that will work in your machine.

> 2) Am I limited to 802.11B, or can I boost it to 802.11G (Extreme)?

Yes you are limited to 802.11b.

> 3) I think the wireless router can be 802.11G (for future capabilities)
> even if the iBook is 802.11B. Is that true?

Yes it will run on a 802.11g network but only at 802.11b speeds.

> 4) Does anyone have specific equipment suggestions that they know will
> work?
> TIA for any answers. I'm looking forward to enhancing my computing
> experience with this new gear.

Any brand router should work, personally I use Linksys wireless router
and AP. The only advantage I can see to an Apple branded AP is that it
is a little easier to configure, but not worth the price.

> Best Regards,
>
> Tedmund

I hope that helps.

700MHz iBook running 10.2.8