[P1] G3 iBook SE on a Wireless Net

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Tue Apr 13 22:35:06 PDT 2004

FWIW:
It's possible for an 11g wireless access point to comm with
11g clients faster than with 11b clients even tho both are
active at the same general time, tho the "faster" is not full
11g.  It would be a matter of flags in the comm frame headers
and tricky processing & timing.  As I understand it, the
Apple Extreme basestation doesn't do this, but I believe
Buffalo's 11g access point (WRT54G ??) has a setting to do
this.  Buffalo is a reputable, Mac-friendly wireless
equipment company, I think I've read that their 11b
products even route AppleTalk.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Dan Farley wrote:
 . . .
> I've been told that if any node is running  .11b all comms are at .11b
> rates. I'd go for the cheapest .11b access point you can find with 4
 . . .