(2 for 1) Still struggling with wireless, and a question about fragments

Jean-Paul Thuot jeanpaul at zhenwu.org
Mon Apr 19 17:05:44 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I am still unable to discover, or connect to the admin page of my
wireless access point, said by the documentation to be at
192.168.1.100.  However my network (set via DHCP by my router) is
192.168.123.x, so I'm wondering if there is a conflict there.  When I
go into my router admin page, the only IPs that come up are those of
the computers connected, it does not show the access point.  I
understand this, as the AP is really only acting as a hub or switch,
but I am still concerned about sharing this network out to the public
at large particularly as one of my windows machines has a shared drive
on it (I know, I know).

Is there some other way that I might be able negotiate this?  If I
connect the AP directly to the ADSL modem I lose all connection to the
net (it's a PPPoE setup) and still unable to get the admin page.

Any suggestions no matter how silly are welcome.

And for your reading pleasure, a quick question about fragmentation in
OSX (Panther):

Coming from a Linux background as I do, I was expecting OSX not to have
any fragmentation issues, as long as CRON was allowed to do its various
jobs.  However, I see some 'sales pitches' from companies selling
de-fragmenters for OSX, which has me wondering.  Can anyone enlighten
me on this issue?

Thank you heartily in advance,

Jean-Paul Thuot