[P1] iBook Keyboard Marking The Screen

Wayne wayne at fme.com
Thu Apr 22 06:22:18 PDT 2004

> I just bought a G3 900 MHz iBook and I¹m still within the warranty period.
> The problem is that the keyboard is marking up the screen. It leaves little
> scratches where the keyboard touches the screen when it¹s closed. I¹ve
> double checked to be sure that the keyboard is properly seated and that the
> airport card underneath is seated correctly and not raising the keyboard.

This is a well documented problem on all of the Powerbooks from the Ti on. I
have a 700 mhz iBook and the same has happened to me. In investigation, it
was determined the marks are from oils in your hands that mark the screen
while the keys come in contact. I purchased the iKlear Apple Polish kit (it
is available from the Apple store, I purchased from Other World Computing).
You clean your screen and then polish, the marks came out. I also went ahead
and purchased OWC screen protector, a small soft leather sheet that lays
over the keys while the iBook is closed. To round out the safety purchase, I
went ahead and also got the silicon port insert to plug in the side ports
for protection (I travel a lot with the iBook and felt this was also a good
investment).

I will next probably get either the Roadtools Coolpad or Xoxide Acrylic USB
cooler with fans, to help with heat dissipation.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Wayne Schneck
Marketing Manager