[iBook] Old film scanner w/ my iBook

Linda van Thiel lvt at mac.com
Tue Dec 7 19:58:40 PST 2004

> Minolta specs are very easy to check online but most of the early
> models were SCSI. The most common is the Minolta Scan Dual and it is
> SCSI. And it is a pretty good scanner also. :-) The bigger problem may
> be using the scanner with an adapter. I finally sold my scanner as
> there was no Minolta OSX driver and it was very flaky running in
> classic mode. It was also VERY particular about SCSI cards and there
> was only one that Minolta officially supported. I finally bought a
> cheap Beige G3 just to run the scanner until I quit shooting 35mm.
> JeffW.
I just resurrected a Minolta Dual for my brother - he inherited my
souped up G4 when I got my 20" imac G5.
The G4 is a digital audio with a 1.3 owc processor and an adaptec scsi
card and a gig of ram. The Dual is definitely scsi and runs easily on
the adaptec pci card - with Panther no driver is needed for the adaptec
card.  I bought VueScan for him and it is so easy to use and the
results are great.  VueScan will also control his usb Epson Perfection
1250 flat bed scanner.

Now as far as connecting scsi to usb or fw, I don't know.  I have tried
my ancient 230 SyQuest via usb2scsi converter  - no dice, but my
Castlewood Orb with the same converter works fine, even on my new G5.
Anyone want a scsi SyQuest or two, and a dozens and a half 135 and 230
cartridges?  Yes, I know I have a couple 256 usb2 flash drives too.

Linda
SE Michigan