[iBook] More on my mail crash troubles

Thomas Bridgeland tmbridgeland at ybb.ne.jp
Mon Dec 13 20:04:43 PST 2004

> I don't want to trash it and reinstall Mail, because there are some
> important recent e-mails I need to save. Any hints would be
> appreciated.

You said:

....All of your Mail files should be found in your Users folder in
Library-->Mail -- so I'd start by making a back-up copy of that file,
just in case.

You might try trashing the Preferences for Mail in your Users folder in
Library-->Preferences (it's called "com.apple.mail.plist"), and see if
that helps....

First, thanks for suggesting that I pull the Mail files out of the
Users-Library folder, I hadn't known that, or forgot it anyway. It
should save the stuff I need.

I did try trashing the Preferences but no effect.

I got something new last time I tried to troubleshoot, a message box
with:

'The Mailbox "~/Library/Mail/POP-tmbridgeland at etc etc my e-mail
address/INBOX.mbox" is currently locked by "Bridgeland Thomas" on host
"etc etc my computers name.local.". If you open a mailbox that is in
use you may damage its contents.

This was followed by three choice buttons, Cancel, Open Read Only, and
Open Anyway. I have seen this box twice and tried Open Read Only and
Open Anyway. In both cases  Mail froze again in a second or two anyway.

Any more good advice? Thanks!

Tom