web oages don't open

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Wed Feb 4 06:20:33 PST 2004

Since Safari is normally so much faster than all the previous browsers
we've had and since many of us are migrating to faster net service and
broadband, I think we tend to forget that the ultimate factor that
controls access to a specific page or site is not us, not our software
or isp but the equipment and traffic on the site itself.

If the site is well written, uses an isp with adequate resources, and
purchases adequate bandwidth for the amount of traffic it expects or
wants to generate, everything works great and we forget we are dealing
with the enormous conglomeration  and assortment of bits and pieces
that creates the entire network. Your speed and results will only be as
fast and accurate as the slowest element in this unwieldy chain.
Ultimately, your equipment, software and isp are not the deciding
factor in your results. It simply gives you the best edge possible.

The reason you find hitting the return key works, it simply because you
have initiated a second attempt to reach the page and this time there
was an empty slot you beat someone else to. The busier the site is, the
more often you have to do this and the more you must rely on the luck
of the draw to get your turn.

I think as our end of the process (Mac end) gets faster and better, our
computers beat out the slower ones so often, we tend to forget about
all the little mom and pop isps, the antiquated hardware (including
phone lines that are about 100 years old in some rural places), the
horrible code, the ancient servers  a young person may be using for his
first web site, the third world countries, etc that create the web.
Then of course, there are also the act of god element, weather related
events that take out chunks of the web, solar and magnetic events from
space that determine whether our computer is connecting to the server 2
doors away from us but line of site or whether it has had to be routed
around the south pole to get there, etc.

Accessing web pages is still largely a shaky roll of the dice each
time. We simply have gotten much luckier due to our superior options.
BTW, remember the old days when we used to use our 14.4 modems at night
so we could be more likelier to successfully download a 1MB file?

Today, we have to throw in the fact that when it is nightime for us, it
is daytime somewhere else. With the additional number of computers on
the net and more being added each minute, it's rush hour 24/7 at the
world's largest and busiest racetrack/bumper car ride/parkinglot. The
fact we get as far as fast as we do with so few problems and crashes is
the true miracle we tend to forget since we now feel "entitled" instead
of lucky.

Enjoy the drive.