which model? canoscan lide

Jill Whenmouth jillwhenmouth at mac.com
Sun Feb 8 22:08:45 PST 2004

It's Jill back again.... finishing up making decisions about what to send to
my son...

deciding between the canoscan lide 80  or the lide 50.

they both come w photoshop elements (which the model 30 does not) and which
you all have found useful for web sites and newsletters (which he will be
doing)

the usb 2.0 factor  is immaterial bec his ibook will limit him to 1.0

canonscan lide 80 costs $150
w resolution up to  2400 x 4800 dpi for film and photos with 48-bit color
depth

canoscan lide 50 w resolution of scans at 1200 x 2400 dpi and up to 48-bit
 at $100

If his use is primarily emailing and on the web, is the extra resolution
unnecessary... and i should save the extra $50.   Or should I go the extra
$50 for some reason that I can't now foresee?

Or does the 80 differ in some other way than resolution from the 50?