[P1] New iBook Owner / iBook Hard drive partition

Angus Wallace Angus.Wallace at flinders.edu.au
Wed Feb 11 19:14:35 PST 2004

I dunno, I haven't bothered to install it yet. I want to concentrate on
Mac OSX at the moment, and I've got Redhat on my PC at home anyway. I
doubt it would do either of those things. Although Linux doesn't have
power management that is as good as MacOSX, and this could potentially
cause more rapid battery 'wear', I don't reckon it'd 'kill' the battery
(this is just my opinion - don't quote me). Anyway, if you want to play
with Linux occasionally, just plug it in!

I certainly wouldn't be concerned about installing it on my ibook
myself, it's just I can't be bothered at the moment.

Here's a (somewhat biased) account of someone's YDL install on ibook
(http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3596)

-Gus

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 13:18, Tyler Krehbiel wrote:
> A friend of mine is telling me that i shouldent put linux on my iBook, he is
> saying that it will "kill your battery and cause head slaps" Is there any
> truth to this?
>
> ~Tyler
>

> > Hey Tyler,
> >
> > There are (at least) three Linux distros that run on PowerPC (mac)
> > hardware. Yellow Dog Linux, Debian Linux and Gentoo linux (they're in
> > approximate order of ease of use). Linux runs on any mac processor
> > greater than a G3, and almost certainly has lower system requirements
> > than Panther.
> >
> > If you're a bit of a newbie, I suggest you checkout Yellow Dog Linux.
> > It's based on Redhat, and although I haven't seen/used YDL I've been a
> > Redhat user for several years and consider it very good.
> >
> > If you look on the YDL website (www.yellowdoglinux.com/) you'll find
> > step-by-step instructions about partitioning, etc.
> >
> > To clear up a mistruth:
> > MacOSX is NOT linux, (not even technically  ;-), it's *based* on FreeBSD
> > which is *similar* to linux (both FreeBSD and Linux are Unix clones).
> > This might seem like splitting hairs, but OSX _could_not_ have been
> > built on Linux like it was built on FreeBSD because of differences in
> > licensing (see www.gnu.org).
> >
> > I've only just got my ibook (3 days  8-), so I can't tell you how
> > intercompatible it is with Linux, but so far I'm very impressed with it.
> > If you want a more Linux-like experience, make sure you install the
> > developer tools that come with it (compiler, libraries, etc).
> >
> > My impression, though, is that for some things Linux is better than
> > Panther (which is better than Linux in many), although this will be less
> > obvious if you use YDL.
> > The way it is better is that it is easier to do low level configuration
> > in Linux (I think - this could be wrong), but YDL (if like Redhat) will
> > have made this less easy than other distros like Debian.
> >
> > My advice would be to buy a cheap PC (perhaps a Pentium2) *gasp*, and
> > install Linux on there. Linux runs better on x86 (pc) hardware anyway,
> > because that's where most the work is done.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > -Angus

>   --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>                 |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>    RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20 Traveler
>   CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>

Angus Wallace              o__     o__     o__     o__     o__
Flinders University        ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_
Fax: (08) 82013618       Enjoy gridlock today? No?  -  Ride a Bike!
a n g u s . w a l l a c e @ f l i n d e r s . e d u . a u