LCD screen & build quality

Huff, David david at ti.com
Fri Feb 13 08:31:58 PST 2004

I'm in the market for a laptop this year and am seriously considering going
back to an Apple platform after 5 or 6 years in the Linux and (eek!) Windows
worlds. My budget could handle an iBook or a lower priced Powerbook. Don't
need a desktop replacement level machine or a Superdrive. Already got a DVD
burner on a Windows box that I also use for gaming.

The main concern I have is the quality of the LCD display. The iBooks I saw
awhile back in our local Apple Store (Willowbend Mall in Plano, TX) seemed
to have rather dull, washed-out displays (as did the 12" Powerbook). I'm
very sensitive to a display being bright, crisp and having good color
quality. For example, the LCD panel is about the only thing I like about the
PoS Dell laptop I use at work ;)

So what do y'all think ? Do the new G4 iBooks have decent displays ? Were
the ones I saw at the Apple Store just not well calibrated ? (or was it the
annoying fluorescent lighting in the store ? ;) How does the current crop
compare to the 12" and 15" Powerbooks display-wise ?

Also, anyone have feedback on the quality control Apple is putting into the
G4 iBooks ? Are they avoiding the logic board & display issues I've read so
much about on the G3 models ?

Thanks, David