[P1] Anyone running wireless print servers

Tom Legare Tom.Legare at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 17:27:16 PST 2004

I'm running a D-Link DP311P wireless print server (available from Best
Buy and many other places) on an HP LaserJet 4M.  My wireless network
(if it matters) is on an original Apple Airport Base Station.  It is
only slightly bigger than a deck of cards with a short antenna.

It plugs into the parallel port of the printer, you set the channel to
something a few channels away from your Internet wireless channel (I
use channel 1 on the printer server and 7 for my internet), and you're
set to go.  For what it's worth, I share this printer wirelessly (and
the Airport Base Station) with my iBook 500 and two Win2K laptops.  You
can easily print from multiple laptops in our house, even from
different OS's, at the same time.

The ONLY disadvantage I've found with this setup is that the printer is
setup as an IP printer, so when I log into my company's VPN on my Win
2K laptop, the wireless printer is not available.  Only a printer that
is directly connected works in that situation.  I don't do VPN with my
iBook so it's not an issue.

On my iBook I'm using OS 10.2.8.

Good luck,

Tom